“The Late Show With Stephen Colbert” cancels the filming of new episodes “until further notice” after the host showed symptoms of COVID-19. The news comes just weeks after Colbert’s diagnosis of COVID interrupted filming from April 21 to May 2.
“Stephen has symptoms that are consistent with the re-emergence of COVID,” The Late Show’s official Twitter account announced Monday. “Out of plenty of caution for their staff, guests and audience, they will be in isolation for a few extra days.”
Stephen has symptoms that are consistent with the recurrence of COVID. Due to the abundance of caution for his staff, guests and audience, he will be in isolation for a few more days. The Late Show will not be filming new episodes until further notice.
– The Late Show (@colbertlateshow) May 9, 2022
After Colbert’s initial diagnosis, the series paused filming an episode with “Ozark” stars Laura Linney and Jason Bateman, before taking the previously announced break until May 2nd. The show, which is currently in its seventh season, has since aired five new episodes, with guests including Daniel Craig, Glenn Close, Sheryl Crow, Ron Howard, Alton Brown and Elvis Costello.
“The Late Show” replaced the planned live episode with a rerun from April 15 featuring actor Josh Brolin and a Who performance, with a rerun broadcast during the week-long break.
At the time of his initial positive test result, Colbert said on Twitter that he was “feeling good” and joked that he would “do everything to avoid interviewing Jason Bateman”.
The Late Show did not specify in its announcement whether Colbert was once again positive for the virus, only that he had symptoms. In his April 21 tweet, Colbert said he was “vaccinated and reinforced”.
Colbert reacted on Monday to the news that he was embarking on another pause in a tweet in which he wrote: “THE WORST. CONTINUED. EVER.”