The dismissal of Fred Savage’s ‘Wonderful Year’ was a ‘long wait’: a lawyer

Fred Savage could find himself at the center of a new lawsuit after he was fired from his relaunch of “Wonder Years,” according to legal sources.

The former child star has been kicked out of the ABC show after several complaints of misconduct in the role of executive producer and director, it was announced last week.

Savage, 45, had previously settled a lawsuit with Youngjoo Hwang, a costume set for his former Fox comedy, “The Grinder,” back in 2019 after she accused him of assault and harassment.

Asked about the new charges, Hwang’s lawyer, Anahita Seda, told page six on Monday: “This has been a long time and I am not at all surprised.

Allegations of misconduct against Fred Savage (left) are nothing new to Youngjoo Hwang (right) who said she was a former child actor
The allegations of misconduct against Fred Savage (left) are nothing new to Youngjoo Hwang (right) who said the former child actor “violently hit” her.
FilmMagic; Getty Images

“When my client came to me in 2018 with her accusations against Mr. Savage, we discovered that at least one lawsuit had been filed against him in the past and that Mr. Savage allegedly engaged in such behavior not only against my client but also other women. . Unfortunately, my client had to speak up, and now allegedly the others before the action was finally taken. ”

In her lawsuit, Hwang claimed that Savage “violently hit” her three times in the arm and shouted “Don’t touch me with your hands!” after she took the dandruff off his suit and that the actor had an “unstable and aggressive temperament relating to the women’s team”.

Savage settled a lawsuit with Youngjoo Hwang (left) in 2019 and is now charged with new charges of misconduct.  Hwang's lawyer, Anahita Seda (right), said:
Savage settled a lawsuit with Youngjoo Hwang (left) in 2019 and is now charged with new charges of misconduct. Hwang’s lawyer, Anahita Seda (right), said: “I’m not at all surprised.”
Getty Images

The record, seen by Page Six, reads: “The plaintiff has been informed and believes that defendants Fox (and even other networks, including ABC) have received numerous complaints over the years regarding the illegal conduct of defendant Savage, and yet defendants Fox continued to do so. to employ.

Defendant Savage was known for intimidating, harassing and torturing female crew members as they performed their duties shouting things like ‘I’m not a dog, stop following me!’ ‘Never look at me again’ and ‘Get away from me’.

Savage (center) was a child star for his role
Savage (center) was a child star for his role in The Wonder Years, which ran from 1988 to 1993.
ABC Photo Archives / Getty Images

Savage then called the accusations “completely baseless and absolutely untrue.” He was later investigated by 20th Century television, which produced The Grinder.

Savage was among the executive producers of the new “Wonder Years,” which was relaunched last year. He directed eight episodes, including a pilot.

Seda said Savage’s expulsion from the “Wonder Years” could lead to a new prosecutor filing a civil lawsuit against him.

Savage was among the executive producers of the new one
Savage was among the executive producers of the new reboot “Wonder Years” and directed eight episodes, including the pilot.
ABC via Getty Images

Deadline reported on Friday that the nature of the charges against Savage – who starred in the original 80s series – remains unclear, but claims the star allegedly behaved inappropriately and had verbal outbursts during production.

“We were recently briefed on Fred Savage’s allegations of misconduct, and like politics, an investigation has been launched. Upon completion, a decision was made to terminate his employment as executive producer and director of The Wonder Years, ”a 20th Century television spokesman said in a statement to Deadline.

Seda added: “The network said it had investigated these new complaints and removed Mr Savage as a result. I suppose that at this point, with the allegations accumulating against Mr. Savage, the network must have found some support and had no choice but to part with him.

The renewed comedy of adulthood was launched in September 2021.
The renewed comedy of adulthood was launched in September 2021.
ABC via Getty Images

“If the employer does not act after complaints of misconduct that are found to be true, he can be called to civil responsibility in court. So not only would the individual perpetrator be held accountable, but the employer would also be responsible. ”

She said: “Fox did not confirm the allegations in the minutes nor did it publish its findings of investigation; we can only assume that some misdeeds have been found. ”

A Savage spokesman did not respond to Page Six’s request for comment.

Savage dismissed the allegations, and former fellow cast member Alley Mills stood up for him.
Savage dismissed the allegations, and former fellow cast member Alley Mills stood up for him.
Richard Shotwell / Invision / AP

In 2018, actress Alley Mills said the original “Wonder Years” was canceled after a former costume designer filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against Savage, then 16 years old.

Monique Long filed a lawsuit in 1993 in the Los Angeles Supreme Court after she stated she could not do her job and was fired because Savage asked to hold her hand, asked for an affair and made sexual remarks. The lawsuit was resolved out of court, and Savage never commented on it.

Mills, who played the mother of Savage’s character Kevin Arnold, called the suit “funny”, adding that Savage was “the least offensive, the most wonderful, sweet human being who has ever walked the face of the earth”.

Leave a Comment