Women’s lacrosse team Joseph will play against SUNY-Genese in the first round of the NCAA Division III Women’s Lacrosse Tournament on Saturday at 1pm at Middlebury College in Middlebury, Vermont.
The Monks earned a spot in the tournament by winning the Great Northeast Atlantic Conference Championship with a 10-9 win over Johnson & Wales on Saturday. St. Joseph is 20-0 and this is his second appearance in an NCAA tournament. They reached the tournament in 2015 as well, losing to Bridgewater State 16-9 in the first round.
SUNY-Geneseo is 13-4 and has earned a big bid after losing in a SUNYAC championship game to SUNY-Cortland on Saturday. This is the Knights’ first appearance in an NCAA tournament.
The tournament field was announced on Monday afternoon. Colby College earned 14-3 and lost in the NESCAC semifinals. Mules will host the second round match against the winner of the Springfield match against Merchant Marine, which is played in Colby on Saturday, at 1 pm on Sunday.
If St. Joseph’s win on Saturday will play against seven-time state champion Middlebury on Sunday.
FOOTBALL: The Kentucky player has been charged with drunk driving, university police said.
Running back Chris Rodriguez Jr., 24, was arrested on Sunday and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, reckless driving and driving without taillights, news outlets reported, citing a police quote.
A Kentucky University police officer stopped a black Dodge Durango who “did not maintain his particular work lane” and had no taillights on, according to a warrant for his arrest filed with Fayette District Court.
Rodriguez had a slurred speech, and “the stench of alcoholic beverages” was coming from the vehicle, the police officer wrote. He was taken to Fayette County Jail.
The senior was the team’s leading onslaught and finished with 1,238 yards and eight onslaught touchdowns in 11 games last year.
ITALIAN OPEN: Denis Shapovalov overcame the penalty spot and the hostile audience and beat home hope Lorenzo Sonega 7-6 (5), 3-6, 6-3 in the first round in Rome.
Shapovalov will next meet Nikoloz Basilashvili of Georgia, who beat Daniel Evans 7-6 (2), 6-2.
Also, three-time Grand Slam champion Stan Wawrinka enjoyed his first win in almost 1 1/2 years by defeating Reilly Opelka, also last year’s semifinalist, 3-6, 7-5, 6-2.
Other winners were Karan Khachanov, Jenson Brooksby and Alejandro Davidovich Fokina.
After winning the Madrid Open, Carlos Alcaraz withdrew from the tournament due to a right ankle injury.
Later, Naomi Osaka withdrew from the women’s tournament due to an Achilles heel injury.
FRENCH OPEN: Katie Volynets, a 20-year-old Californian, and Michael Mmoh, a 24-year-old who was born in Saudi Arabia and now lives in Florida, have earned wild card applications from the American Tennis Federation for the French Open main draw.
The game starts at Roland Garros on May 22nd.
GERMAN: Schalke is returning to the Bundesliga after a year of transformation on and off the field.
A humiliating relegation from the first league forced one of Germany’s traditional giants to rebuild his team. Then came the war in Ukraine and Schalke severed ties with Russian state-owned gas company Gazprom, the financial fuel for some of its greatest successes, leaving the club with an uncertain future.
Schalke’s late jump into promotion this season was reflected in Saturday’s match that secured his return to the Bundesliga. Schalke lost 2-0 at halftime against rivals St. Pauli, but recovered and won 3-2.
WORLD CUP: Atlanta United defender Miles Robinson is likely to miss the World Cup for the United States after rupturing Achilles tendons in his left leg during an MLS game.
The team announced that Robinson would undergo surgery after magnetic resonance imaging confirmed the worst-case scenario.
“We are horrified by Miles,” US coach Gregg Berhalter said in a statement. “He confirmed himself as a top player last year and qualified for the World Cup. We will think of him and wish him a successful recovery process. “
• Brazil and Argentina have lost their appeals to FIFA and will have to play a World Cup qualifier that was abandoned last year in Sao Paulo due to chaos on the ground caused by a pandemic violation.
In one of the most bizarre scenes during the World Cup qualifiers, Brazilian health officials took to the field minutes after starting last September to challenge the quarantine status of some Argentine players.
Both countries easily qualified for the World Cup as the top two teams in the South American group of 10 nations without having to play an abandoned game.
They took part in the draw for the final tournament last month, which runs from November 21st to December 12th. 18 in Qatar.
However, FIFA’s latest decision means that Brazil and Argentina will certainly have to play their essentially meaningless 18th qualifying match, probably in September.
The Islanders fire coach Barry Trotz after missing the playoffs