Famous chef Mario Batali, accused of charges of alleged groping in a case of sexual misconduct

Famous chef Mario Batali, who is accused of indecent assault and abuse, on Monday waived his right to a jury trial in a sexual abuse case he faces in Boston. Batali, 61, is accused of forcibly kissing and groping a woman after taking a selfie with her at a restaurant on Boylston Street 2017. The jury selection was due to begin Monday at Boston Municipal Court; however, Batali opted for a bench trial. He pleaded not guilty to charges of indecent assault and ill-treatment. After introductory statements, Batala’s prosecutor stopped and explained what happened the night she saw Batalia and took a photo with him at the restaurant. “He had one arm around me and his face was pressed against mine,” she said. “He kissed the side of my face and wrapped his other arm around me, and that’s what we see in the photo.” The woman said while they were taking photos, Batali’s hands were in “sensitive areas” touching her body. “He kept saying, ‘One more, one more’ to get another selfie,” the prosecutor testified as the photos were shown in court. She said she was standing next to Batali, who was sitting at the bar while taking photos. “His right hand is over my chest, over my entire back, between my legs, catching me in a way she had never touched me like before. “, she said. “Like, squeezing between my legs, squeezing my vagina to draw me closer to him – like it’s a normal way to grab someone – just between my legs to pull them towards me.” Batali’s lawyer Anthony Fuller argued the attack never happened and that the prosecutor is not a credible witness and has a financial incentive to lie. “She’s not being honest,” he said. “This is made up for money and fun.” The trial was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic; however, during his 2019 trial, Batali pleaded not guilty to the charges. If convicted, Batali could face up to two and a half years in prison and must report as a sex offender. Several other women had previously cited Batali’s sexual misconduct. Batali retired from day-to-day operations in his restaurant empire and cooking show “The Chew” in December 2017 after four women accused him of inappropriate touching. Batali apologized, admitting that the accusations “coincide” with the way he acted. “I made a lot of mistakes and I am very sorry to have disappointed my friends, my family, my fans and my team,” he said at the time in an email newsletter. “My behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility.” Batali opened a branch of the popular Italian food market Eataly in Boston in the center of Prudenta ial Center 2016 as well as Babbo Pizzeria e Enoteca in the Seaport district of 2015. Batali has since been bought from its stake in Eataly, which still has dozens of locations around the world, including Boston, and the Babbo restaurant in the city has since closed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Famous chef Mario Batali, who is accused of indecent assault and abuse, on Monday waived his right to a jury trial in a sexual abuse case he faces in Boston.

Batali, 61, is accused of forcibly kissing and groping a woman after taking a selfie with her at a restaurant on Boylston Street in 2017.

The jury selection was due to begin Monday at Boston Municipal Court; however, Batali opted for a bench trial. He pleaded not guilty to charges of indecent assault and ill-treatment.

After introductory remarks, Batali’s prosecutor stopped and explained what happened the night she saw Batali and took a photo with him at the restaurant.

“He held one arm around me and his face was pressed against mine,” she said. “He kissed the side of my face and wrapped his other arm around me, and that’s what we see in the photo.”

The woman said Batala’s hands were in “sensitive areas” as they posed for photos and touched her body.

He kept saying, ‘One more, one more’ to get another selfie, the defendant testified as the photos were shown in the courtroom.

She said she was standing next to Batali, who was sitting at the bar, while she was taking photos.

“His right hand is over my chest, all over my back, between my legs, he catches me in a way she’s never touched me like that before,” she said. “Like, squeezing between my legs, squeezing my vagina to draw me closer to him – like it’s a normal way to grab someone – just between my legs to pull them towards you.”

Batali’s lawyer, Anthony Fuller, claimed the attack never happened and that the prosecutor was not a credible witness and had a financial incentive to lie.

“She’s not being honest,” he said. “This is made up for money and fun.”

The trial was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic; however, during his 2019 trial, Batali pleaded not guilty to the charges.

If convicted, Batali could face up to two and a half years in prison and must report himself as a sex offender.

This content was imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in a different format or you may be able to find more information on their website.

Several other women have previously cited Batali’s sexual misconduct.

Batali retired from day-to-day operations in his restaurant empire and cooking show “The Chew” in December 2017 after four women accused him of inappropriate touching.

Batali apologized, admitting that the accusations “coincide” with the way he acted.

“I made many mistakes and I am very sorry to have disappointed my friends, my family, my fans and my team,” he said in an e-mail newsletter at the time. “My behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility. “

In 2016, Batali opened a branch of the popular Italian food market Eataly in Boston at the Prudential Center, as well as Babbo Pizzeria e Enoteca in the 2015 Seaport district.

Batali has since been bought out of its stake in Eataly, which still has dozens of locations around the world, including Boston, and the city’s Babbo restaurant has since closed.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment