Welcome to the 431st edition of Android Apps Weekly. Here are the big headlines from last week:
- WhatsApp introduced some new features on May 5, 2022. The big news is the Community feature where users can create communities to talk about things, similar to apps like Discord. Some other new features include emoji reactions, groups of up to 512 people and 2 GB file sharing limits. Click the link to learn more.
- Google, Apple and Microsoft are working together to implement password-free logins. Some other companies use this technology in different ways. This new method uses a person’s phone as a kind of hardware key. It would store the FIDO access key that allows them to log in to the services by confirming the login on their phone. It’s like combining passwords and 2FA. Click the link to learn more.
- Android 13 adds some restrictions for side-loading APKs. Don’t leave. However, Android 13 requires that the app come from an app store. This could become sticky as the goal is not to give side-loading access to applications from unreliable sources. However, it is not up to Google to decide what is reliable and what is not.
- YouTube Go was destroyed. The app was supposed to be a lighter, less intensive app for lower-end devices in areas where mobile data is slow. Google says the regular app has improvements just for those uses and should generally provide a better experience.
- Google Play had a pretty big update last month. Various bug fixes are included along with some new stuff. The update includes fixes for account and system management errors, a new Nearby Sharing feature, new features to detect and improve billing on Google Play. We don’t usually talk about Google Play updates, but this was quite extensive. Click the link to learn more.
Gigantosaurus Dino world
Price: Play for free
Gigantosaurus Dino World is a children’s game with a bunch of dinosaurs. At its core, it’s a puzzle game with a bunch of mini-games to entertain kids. There are several dinosaurs that you can play with and adapt to. In general, it’s not bad for kids, but it’s a little slow for adults. There are purchases through the app to unlock things, and we’re not big fans of that. Make sure your Google Play account is password protected and everything else should be fine.
Price: Free / $ 4.99
Console Launcher is a handy idea that could be more useful later than now. It is a home screen launcher especially for devices with connected game controllers. By default, it works in landscape mode, full controller support, and even the user interface is optimized for controller use. The app is a bit like a simplified version of the Nintendo Switch user interface. There are some bugs and it started with a crash error that pulled its rating on Google Play but has since been fixed.
Price: Free with in-app purchases
Influent is an educational mobile game that helps in learning new languages. The app comes with a French, Italian and Korean finished product, but multiple languages are available as in-app purchases. It’s a unique kind of game. Players are placed in an environment where they can communicate with everyone. The game shows you each object in the language you choose and helps you learn the language by directly interacting with the objects. Not bad for what he wants, and additional languages aren’t that expensive.
Price: Free / $ 59.99 for 3 months / $ 119.99 per year / $ 249.99 once
Lover is an application to improve your sex life without pills or surgery. His goal is to help with things like poor desire, difficulty reaching climax, reaching climax too quickly, erectile dysfunction and a host of other problems. Yes, it is a self-help application. She uses courses and activities to teach people a more active and satisfying sex life. Of course, this is not the most pleasant topic of conversation, but the application seems to have good advice.
The only drawback is the price. It requires $ 59.99 for 3 months, $ 119.99 per year, or $ 249.99 for a lifetime membership. However, sex therapy can be a lot more expensive than that, so this could be convenient, depending on who you ask.
New: Iron Galaxy
Price: Play for free
New: Iron Galaxy is a space strategy game. There was a huge supernova and it caused a lot of chaos. You try to use this chaos to make money by building a ship, building a base, making friends and exploring the galaxy. You will also try to find out more about the supernova that blew it all up. It’s a pretty big and deep game. The mechanics are pretty easy to learn. Unfortunately, there seem to be problems with connectivity after the release, but developers are likely to clean it up.
If we missed any major Android app or game or news, let us know in the comments.
Thanks for reading. Try the following: